Well, we have some exciting news! (NO! I'm NOT pregnant.) We are adopting two golden retrievers!! There is a fabulous organization in Spokane called the Inland Empire Golden Retriever Rescue. They rescue neglected golden retrievers from puppy mills, homes, and the pound. Matt and I really wanted to adopt a dog and save it's life, but we wanted a retriever or collie. We found the IEGRR, and we went out today to look at was initially just going to be one dog. We had a 1 year old male in mind, but upon arriving and playing with the dog it was pretty clear he wasn't the dog for our family. Then, out came "Pooh" (We WILL be changing her name. Any suggestions are so welcome!) and we were pretty smitten from the start. She's a mix, but a beautiful girl none the less. She has a very laid back personality, and she is very sweet. She's 2 so she's past the puppy phase, and she was rescued from the pound. She was given a "1" by and animal behaviorist which is the best score a dog can get. We are very excited about her! 
As we were playing with Pooh another dog, Lucy, kept coming over to us. She is by far the friendliest dog I have ever met (aside from Matt's family's dog, Aggie) and she held a special connection with us as well. She's an older dog - 9 years old in fact. The woman who is fostering her right now told us her previous owners had gotten a new golden retriever puppy and just dropped Lucy off at the pound. How could anyone do that?! At one point I was bending down to say something to Blythe and she came over, sat right next to me, and put her little eyes right against my neck. She nuzzled in and let me just hug her for a few minutes. Well, that was all it took! So, she's coming to our house too! Even tho she may not live very much longer, she will have a great home for the rest of her years. I will say that for her age she has a LOT of spirit and playfulness. 
Both dogs will probably come home with us next weekend for a trial run. If for some reason one or both of them don't work out with us, we can always take them back to the IEGRR. But for now, we're claiming them as ours!
PS. Blythe LOVES the dogs. The sniffed and licked her all over, and she loved every minute of it! Help us think of a new name for Pooh!
Sunday, September 09, 2007
Newest Members of the Fain Family
Posted by MBM at 7:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow, how amazing! They are both so beautiful looking, and the perfect temperament for your family. Let us know how it goes!! :o) (I bet Matt is just loving the idea of having a dog!)
I love the dogs....they're perfect for your family! I can't wait to meet them. As for a name for pooh....that is a tough one. I like Elsie, but I also like lady. I guess we will have to meet her and see her personality to determine her name.
I concur, Sarah; nice reasoning. ;o) Hmmm...I have always like Ginger...and she's kinda gingery, eh?
Post a Comment